Friday, February 19, 2010

ski like a girl: 5 steps to "watching" the Olympics without leaving home

As much as I'd love to be there I'm not in Vancouver right now.  I'm about 6 hours away.  I could get in my car and drive up, that's how close I am.  And as much as I want to be there it just isn't going to happen.  So I'm trying to stay as connected as possible from the comfort of my home.  I'm on the west coast and like most avid Olympic followers have found the coverage of the Games to be frustrating.  I don't want to wait until 8 pm to find out what happened during an am race.  Thanks to social media I don't have to. Here is my solution to "watching" ski racing.

5 steps to "watching" the Olympics without leaving your home

1.  Open the official Vancouver 2010 website and click on the schedule and results of the event you are following.

2.  Go to twitter and search for an athlete or preferably two that are competing in the event.

3.  Go to facebook and open the fanpages of the athletes you are following.

4.  Keep all the windows open.

5.  As the event proceeds follow the updates on twitter, facebook, and watch as the times are posted on the official Vancouver 2010 site.

It's almost like being there.  Really!  Yesterday during the Ladies Super Combined I used this method to "watch" the race. I knew moment by moment who was in the lead. As Lindsey Vonn came down the slalom course a DNF appeared on the official Vancouver 2010 site and I knew instantly that something had happened.  Switching quickly over to my twitter feed following all things Lindsey Vonn and the helpful spectators at Creekside let me know that Lindsey had clipped her ski tip on a gate. She was out of the race.

Of course I'd rather be there.  I'm missing out on the actual experience but sometimes you just have to work with what you've got.


If you have any ideas on how to follow the Olympics from home let me know in the comments.  There is another week left to follow so I'm open to improving my system.  Or if you'd like to take a spontaneous road trip to BC let me know, I'm game.

xoxo,
ski girl

1 comment:

  1. We noticed you had a 1CAST embed below. To follow all Olympic video easily, you can subscribe to this feed in your favorite RSS reader (e.g. Google Reader) and get notified as soon as a new Olympics video has been posted. Hope you like it!

    http://feeds.feedburner.com/1CASTolympics

    ReplyDelete