Tuesday, January 5, 2010

ski like a girl and your snow report


Study: Ski Resorts Tell Tall Tales About Deep Snow


Heard on All Things Considered

January 4, 2010 - MELISSA BLOCK, host:

Two researchers have confirmed something skiers and snowboarders have long suspected: Resorts sometimes boost their snowfall measurements to attract more customers. The researchers found that ski areas report more snowfall on the weekends.

Really? I can't believe that. I always believed in the weekend effect. According to the study there is twenty-three percent more snow reported on weekends, on average, across all resorts.

Check out NPR for more info on the study.

I know my mountain doesn't lie. Today's snow report for Mt. Hood Meadows went something like this.

Here's your Snow Report!

Good morning. Let's sing a song together this morning: "Rain, rain, go away, don't come back 'til after May." If we can get everyone on this email list to sing along, perhaps we can change today's precipitation into a couple feet of powder. On a brighter note, NPR did a story yesterday about ski resorts lying to their guests: http://bit.ly/7PvyJO At least we tell you the truth, even when it hurts! Thanks for skiing and riding Meadows. We love you! Have a great day today!

A special thanks to Temira Wagonfeld, one of the awesome snow phone and website reporters for Mt. Hood Meadows in Oregon, for keeping it real.

Well I love you too Meadows. Rain or no rain I still wish I was skiing.

xoxo,

ski girl

p.s. Week 2 of shoulder rehab. Getting really good at one armed everything, except push ups. Just not feeling it.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Ski Girl, Thank you so much for the shoutout! I'm doing my best to keep it real up here at Meadows. I used to hate interpreting the snowphone and secret code to find the truth, so I think it's fanatastic that Meadows lets us (me, David, Nick and Jennifer) tell what's really going on. And I'd like to give a special shoutout to David for his fine singing on the phone yesterday. =) If we can't get everyone to come ski in bad weather, at least we can try to make you laugh, right? Have a great day, and pray for powder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever the weather I'll be up as soon as my shoulder is better! Probably without poles for a while. Who needs poles anyway? Can't wait to get back on the snow! I look forward to all of your daily updates. Thanks again Temira and all of the awesome Mt.Hood Meadows crew.
    xoxo,
    ski girl

    ReplyDelete