Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The new fit-fat


Like most girls, I have a list of things I'd like to change about my self. Currently at the top of my list is the desire to lose the 20 lbs. I seemed to have "mysteriously" gained over ski season. Something about bulky winter clothes while skiing and stretchy Lululemon yoga pants during my time off slope led to some delusional thinking about the state of my body and a horrible reality check this spring. Now with swimsuit season upon me and a possible trip to Hawaii in the works I'm ready for a change. I'm trying to go about this in a healthy manner. As a former dancer, with a history of going for the quick and easy... starvation/mildly anorexic tendencies. I've made a commitment to myself and my family not to give into to that behavior. My focus is eating clean, exercising, and focusing on new fitness challenges like my first triathlon and my first 1/2 marathon. I'm struggling to stay positive and recently discovered/made up a new category in body types. You may have heard of skinny-fat. The Urban Dictionary defines skinny-fat as someone is thin and looks great in clothes, but is all flabby underneath. Well I've decided I'm fit-fat. I'm strong and muscular. I can run, bike, ski for hours but according to my BMI I am practically obese.

In an article on Forbes.com, JoAnn Manson, chief of preventative medicine at Harvard's Brigham Hospital states: "Being fit and fat is better than being unfit and fat, but it's not as good as being fit and lean." So my goal is to get fit and lean. If you'd like to get fit and lean with me, or just follow my progress, keep checking back on my blog. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Let's all raise our water bottles in a toast to getting fit-lean. I may even throw in in few bikini pics if I make it to Hawaii. It's the Hollywood thing to do when you're over 40 and looking good!

My favorite workout in Portland is Outdoor Fitness training: Snowsports Focus through Peak Fitness NW. Jenn is an awesome trainer who leads us through a booty kicking workout every Monday night at Mt. Tabor. The group is primarily skiers with a focus on off slope ski conditioning but anyone look for a tough workout will benefit. Come join us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment