Tuesday, August 4, 2009

spring cleaning

Sporty me at the All Women's Triathlon

I know, I know, I'm off by a season or maybe even two. According to the calendar it's August. Summer, right? But according to TV and all the inserts that are stuffed in the paper it's time for "Back to School" shopping. So Fall? I've been thinking about cleaning since spring. Does that count? My problem is that sporty me hasn't come to terms with designer me.

Designer me in Vegas, baby!!!

So while my closest is full of lovely items that I rarely wear or even have an occasion to use. My bedroom floor is covered with piles of the things I actually use on a daily basis. Workout clothes, running shoes, swim suits, swim caps, a wet suit, gym bag...

My closest has become a shrine, a museum to a me that doesn't really exist anymore. At least not at the moment. Some people say designer clothes are an investment. An investment in what? Doesn't an investment, at least a good investment, need to increase in value. I could have(and have in the past) taken some of these clothes to a resale shop and find out just how good of an investment I made. Last summer I sold a beautiful Pucci dress (that never really fit right) and a pair of Christian Dior sunglasses (that made me look like a bug) and earned enough money to pay for a new pair of skis. But was that a good investment? Probably not but I was a whole lot happier with the skis.

I know shades of Confessions of a Shopaholic here. We all have our Rebecca Bloomwood moments. Don't we? Well at least I do.

So now as I go through the closet... trying to find the balance between the new me and the old me, I realize the only person this stuff has value to is me. And I just need to decide what to do with it.

xoxo,
ski girl
p.s. Maybe I'll trade it all in for that tri bike I've been dreaming about?! Is sporty me going to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment